[ESS] ess-remote and help

Neil Best nbest at ci.uchicago.edu
Mon Dec 3 23:07:15 CET 2012

Ali Tofigh <alix.tofigh <at> gmail.com> writes:

> To report back on my problems: yes, with tramp i got everything
> working. i only had to make sure that options(pager="cat") was set. it
> took a while though to get tramp working on my particular setup with
> our servers.
>
> I still think that it might be worthwhile for a devloper to look into
> the original issue as to why such a straightforward issue doesn't
> work. it seems to me like there must be a bug somewhere and probably
> affecting more ppl than just me.
>
> but thank you for helping to resolve my issue.
>
> best
> /ali
>
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:23, Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa <at> mcw.edu> wrote:
> > Ali Tofigh wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm using the latest version of emacs for mac (23.4.1) and ess (12.04)
> >> using the all-in-one installation file by Vincent Goulet (from the
> >> link on the ess website).
> >>
> >> I cannot get ess-remote to work with help files. I do the following:
> >>
> >> M-x ssh (to remote server)
> >> R (start R on the remote server)
> >> M-x ess-remote
> >> r (to choose the dialect)
> >>
> >> which results in this single line being executed:
> >>
> >> options(STERM='iESS', str.dendrogram.last ="'")
> >>
> >> now if I just type 'help()' followed by RET I get a message:
> >>
> >> "ESS process not ready. Finish your command before trying again."
> >>
> >> The same message appears if I do C-c C-v. Does anyone have an idea on
> >> how i can debug this issue?
> >>
> >> /ali
> >

> > Have you seen this thread
> > <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.ess.general/5655>?
> > It might give you a workaround.
> >
> > Rodney

I am still getting the "ESS process not ready" behavior that Ali
originally reported.  I have tried all manner of approaches (M-x shell
followed by ssh, M-x ssh, M-x R from a Tramp buffer) and still cannot
achieve the desired, familiar behavior of C-c C-c and friends.  Here
is a little info about my environment:

emacs-version
"24.2.1"

tramp-version
"2.2.3-24.1"

ess-version
"12.09-1"

I have "ControlMaster auto" with an accompanying ControlPath directive
in my ~/.ssh/config.  Tramp and ssh.el seem to be working fine.

Any red flags there?  Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot
otherwise?

Neil