[ESS] How do I customise the frame split when I run a line of R from ESS?

Chris Evans chrishold at psyctc.org
Fri Aug 31 21:13:04 CEST 2012

I am running Emacs with ESS both installed from the Ubuntu 12.04
defaults.  Help says Emacs is:

"GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
  of 2012-03-25 on roseapple, modified by Debian"

ESS is ESS version 12.04-4

The default behaviour when I run a line of code from the icon in ESS
seems to be a vertical split.  I'd love to get back to what I'm used to
which is a horizontal split.  I thought I could find .emacs and edit
that but I'm failing at square one: I can't find any .emacs file.  Using
find seems to confirm that there isn't one which seems bizarre.

Can anyone help me?!

Many thanks in advance,

Chris

---
Chris Evans <chris at psyctc.org> Skype: chris-psyctc
Consultant Psychiatrist in Psychotherapy, Notts. PDD network;
Professor, Psychotherapy, Nottingham University
*If I am writing from one of those roles, it will be clear. Otherwise*
*my views are my own and not representative of those institutions    *
If you have difficulty Emailing me on this address or getting a reply,
send again but cc to:       chris dot evans at nottshc dot nhs dot uk
and to:                     c dot evans at nottingham dot ac dot uk