[ESS] insert result in the current buffer?

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Fri Aug 31 20:10:03 CEST 2012

Sam Steingold Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Tom Roche Fri, 31 Aug 2012 13:36:13 -0400
>>> By which he probably means a log file

Vitalie Spinu Fri, 31 Aug 2012 19:41:58 +0200
>> What is a log file?

Think about it (though I guess it helps to be a native speaker in this
case). A log is a record of activities. A computer's log file (as
maintained by a daemon or OS) is a *very* detailed record of the
activities of some device or process. A human's (OK, *this* human's--
YMMV) log file is like a diary, only more quotidian: I record things I
might want to remember, but couldn't remember sufficiently, given
enough time.

Norm Matloff Fri, 31 Aug 2012 10:52:40 -0700
> an example[:] I run simulations of something, varying a parameter p.
> I have my R code output the values of p and the simulation output,
> one value of p per line. By saving that in a file, it easy to write
> code to produce a graph of the simulation output versus p.

That would be the "lab notebook" orientation. I do that, but lots of
other stuff also goes in my logfiles: bits of shell transcripts, emails,
phone calls, conversations, health weirdnesses, event announcements ...
anything I might want to `M-x find-grep` for later.

FWIW, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>