[ESS] Care to critique some Emacs-ess slides?

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 08:57:14 CEST 2012

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Vincent Goulet
<vincent.goulet at dgfc.ulaval.ca> wrote:
 à 11:09, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> a écrit :

>> In case you didn't notice, in the same folder I
>> leave the LyX file and graphics needed to reproduce this,
>
> ... you mean you don't use Emacs for LaTeX editing?! Man... ;-)
>
> v.

Oh, gosh.  Too True.   I will have to destroy the LyX evidence and
just use the tex file I exported from LyX from now on (see below).

I want an Emacs LaTeX major mode that hides all the markup, all this stuff:

\begin{itemize}
   \item
   \item
\end{item}

LyX  makes it easier to start and end a list, and it never forgets to
put \end for me.

If I used TeXMacs, you would frown too. But at least that's styled like Emacs.

I don't know that I agree with Norm's claim that the tex file produced
by LyX is unreadable. I'd say the major criticism of it for me is the
lack of indentation.  It is as readable as any LaTeX file I've whipped
up in Emacs.

But, if you open that tex file in Emacs, menu select all, and do M-x
indent-region (joking about my presentation there)... You get a tex
file that looks OK, at least to my eye:

http://pj.freefaculty.org/guides/Rcourse/emacs-ess/emacs-ess.tex

How can you hate on that?  Is the LaTeX you type up better looking? Really?

It does have some monkey business with \lyxframe, but that's not
entirely my fault.

So now my next mission is to write some Emacs macros to clean out the
lyx markup, and then destroy the LyX file entirely, so I become less
obviously ideologically compromised.

pj
--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science    Assoc. Director