[ESS] Care to critique some Emacs-ess slides?

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 20:17:24 CEST 2012

Thanks for the feedback. You are exactly the person I need to get
reviews from, since you use the keystrokes and I don't, and I don't
even really understand much about why you do that.

I'm asking you for some details below, because I don't understand. I'm
not arguing. I literally don't understand.

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Thompson,Paul
<Paul.Thompson at sanfordhealth.org> wrote:
> I have read your nicely formatted beamer presentation.
>
> I have used emacs (xemacs and gnu-emacs) for probably 30 years. I enjoy emacs, and am quite intuitive about how I use it. I think that your tone is odd in some places. Rather than say "There are two ways of doing things in emacs" and putting the menu-approach and the keystroke-approach side-by-side (which you do), you seem to be trying to persuade people that the keystroke approach is bad.
>
> I would guess that most who come to emacs begin with menus and move to keystrokes. After all, menus are slower. I can do cntl-a or cntl-e with my eyes closed (and for sight-impaired users, this is important) and very very quickly too. Using the END or HOME takes more time, since I can't touch type on those.
>
> So, my thought would be to modify your tone slightly to make it more neutral. Indicate that most proceed by 1) finding the right menu (and we all know how limited the menus are for the huge library of emacs macros). 2) getting used to the menu behavior and 3) determining after a while that the little key sequence mentioned in the menu could be faster.

I think that *may* be right, although I'm not certain it helps my
theme that Emacs has no learning curve :)

> You do not cover macros. Odd, since emacs is a macro editor. That's the main power. I would include a short discussion of macros. If you want to be really innovative, you can talk about writing macros, naming them, saving them to files, and that stuff. Probably the second lecture, however.

Here I just don't understand at all. I'm trying to get across the idea
that people can happily use Emacs and ESS for programming WITHOUT
writing Lisp macros. How does this help me?  (To me, Emacs is editor
macros, macros that other people create and people like me use,
without writing new macros.  I'm afraid writing macros is makes Emacs
seem like a "huge learning curve" to the students.  Maybe I'm too
cautious there.)

> You also don't talk about apropos. I would certainly mention that.

Can you supply me with some example usages where apropos helps you
find out something you need to know?  Treat me like an idiot. Tell me
what you want to find out and how it is useful.   I don't ever find my
way to helpful information in it.  It pre-supposes I already know the
Emacs terminology for topics, or so it appears to me. If you could
write down just a couple of examples, it would help me a lot.

If you think new users can benefit from the items in Emacs Help menu,
can you provide some examples?  I can't ever find what I need to know
in there.  I just have to Google. The Help menu seems to pre-suppose I
know I'm looking for an option, command, an value, and so forth, when
I just want to know "how do I change the indentation" or "how do I
select all of the text after the cursor's current position"?  Know
what I mean?

pj