[ESS] ESS on CentOS 5 throwing errors

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 08:46:27 CEST 2012

Dear Emmanuel:

Are you still struggling? Comments below:

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Emmanuel Levy <emmanuel.levy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I tried to install ESS on a CentOS machine (unfortunately no choice on
> the OS...).
>
> However when I start xemacs (installed from EPEL) I get the following
> error messages (copied below).
>
> Any idea what this mean?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Emmanuel

> The last ESS version (ess-12.04-4) is in /root/bin/ and is loaded by
> the command:
>
> (load "/root/bin/ess-12.04-4/lisp/ess-site.el")
>
> which is in /root/.xemacs/init.el

This is a really bad sign. You wouldn't want to run Emacs or Xemacs as
root, so you should not install there.  You've got pieces of the ESS
install stuck in a place that ordinary users can't use them. I
wouldn't be surprised if the security framework in Centos is blocking
you from trying to run Xemacs as root, actually.

I can't help with Xemacs, because I have not had much success with it
in about 10 years, but I can help with Emacs and ESS on enterprise
linux.

I think you should consider installing the RPMs I built for ESS on EL.
 On our Centos-5.3 based Linux cluster, the compute nodes have Emacs
(not Xemacs) and Emacs-ess installed from an RPM. It does run, I use
it all the time. If you are content to run Emacs (not Xemacs), check
here:

http://pj.freefaculty.org/Centos/5/x86_64/RPMS/kurocks-noarch

I had 5.10 and 5.11. I  just (today) build 5.14 and uploaded it.  You
need the ess-common and emacs-ess.  You might also (for fun) install
my bit of Emacs heaven, the init file that will make you happy.
That's what I have in emacs-ess-kups.

I'm starting to remember details. Xemacs is packages in a funny way
for EL, I couldn't get ESS to build properly.  I just hacked out the
ESS for Xemacs components from the RPM build files.

I also have machines running RedHat 6 and Centos 6.  For some reason,
I only built RPMS of emacs-ess 5.14 on an i386 system, but the
packages are "noarch" so you could install them on x86_64

http://pj.freefaculty.org/Centos/6/i386/RPMS/

I am reviewing my notes on this, and here's what I did. From the
Fedora linux project, I took the source RPM. Then I hacked out the
Xemacs stuff. It may be they have solved the Xemacs mystery since
then. Look Here

http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=5299

And in the change log, I see this was originally written by an old
friend of mine from the Santa Fe Institute. He put in this comment
with the recent packaging, but I can't say what this means.

* Wed Sep 21 2011 Alex Lancaster <alexlan[AT]fedoraproject org> -
5.14-1 - Update to upstream 5.14 (#654727) - Drop XEmacs patch,
workaround has now been implemented upstream.

If you could get through to Alex, I feel certain he would know where
Xemacs-ess stands now.

pj