[ESS] ess-remote and help

Mathieu Basille basille at ase-research.org
Tue Apr 24 17:06:36 CEST 2012

Dear Rodney,

Thx for you answer, it actually made me realised that my problem was
different from Ali... I don't use ssh.el, but I directly connect to ssh in
an emacs shell (M-x shell), and then use R through ess-remote (I ended up
doing this to use 'screen' sessions on the server). I just read and replied
too quickly, sorry for the noise!

This said, I'll probably have a better look at Tramp in the future, if I
have some time for it!

Best,
Mathieu.

Le 24/04/2012 10:09, Rodney Sparapani a écrit :
> Mathieu Basille wrote:
>> Indeed, same problem here (emacs 23.2, ESS 5.14 under Debian Squeeze). My
>> usual (lazy) approach is to quickly open a local R, and check for the
>> help in this one. But admittedly, that would be nice to have a help
>> system working smoothly through ssh!
>>
>> Mathieu.
>
> Hi Mathieu and Ali:
>
> Ok, now I am mystified. You both say it works with Tramp, but it doesn't
> work with ssh, please fix. What's wrong with using Tramp which is supported
> vs. ssh.el which is not?
>
> Rodney

~$ whoami
Mathieu Basille, Post-Doc

~$ locate
Laboratoire d'Écologie Comportementale et de Conservation de la Faune
+ Centre d'Étude de la Forêt
Département de Biologie
Université Laval, Québec

~$ info
http://ase-research.org/basille

~$ fortune
``If you can't win by reason, go for volume.''
Calvin, by Bill Watterson.