[ESS] ess-remote and help

Mathieu Basille basille at ase-research.org
Tue Apr 24 15:06:51 CEST 2012

Indeed, same problem here (emacs 23.2, ESS 5.14 under Debian Squeeze). My
usual (lazy) approach is to quickly open a local R, and check for the help
in this one. But admittedly, that would be nice to have a help system
working smoothly through ssh!

Mathieu.

Le 23/04/2012 22:41, Ali Tofigh a écrit :
> To report back on my problems: yes, with tramp i got everything
> working. i only had to make sure that options(pager="cat") was set. it
> took a while though to get tramp working on my particular setup with
> our servers.
>
> I still think that it might be worthwhile for a devloper to look into
> the original issue as to why such a straightforward issue doesn't
> work. it seems to me like there must be a bug somewhere and probably
> affecting more ppl than just me.
>
> but thank you for helping to resolve my issue.
>
> best
> /ali
>
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:23, Rodney Sparapani<rsparapa at mcw.edu>  wrote:
>> Ali Tofigh wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm using the latest version of emacs for mac (23.4.1) and ess (12.04)
>>> using the all-in-one installation file by Vincent Goulet (from the
>>> link on the ess website).
>>>
>>> I cannot get ess-remote to work with help files. I do the following:
>>>
>>> M-x ssh (to remote server)
>>> R (start R on the remote server)
>>> M-x ess-remote
>>> r (to choose the dialect)
>>>
>>> which results in this single line being executed:
>>>
>>> options(STERM='iESS', str.dendrogram.last ="'")
>>>
>>> now if I just type 'help()' followed by RET I get a message:
>>>
>>> "ESS process not ready. Finish your command before trying again."
>>>
>>> The same message appears if I do C-c C-v. Does anyone have an idea on
>>> how i can debug this issue?
>>>
>>> /ali
>>

>> Have you seen this thread
>> <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.ess.general/5655>?
>> It might give you a workaround.
>>
>> Rodney

~$ whoami
Mathieu Basille, Post-Doc

~$ locate
Laboratoire d'Écologie Comportementale et de Conservation de la Faune
+ Centre d'Étude de la Forêt
Département de Biologie
Université Laval, Québec

~$ info
http://ase-research.org/basille

~$ fortune
``If you can't win by reason, go for volume.''
Calvin, by Bill Watterson.