[ESS] How to avoid search for versions of R

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at dgfc.ulaval.ca
Fri Apr 20 18:56:00 CEST 2012

Le 2012-04-20 à 11:05, Martin Maechler a écrit :

> On Friday, April 20, 2012, Heinz Tuechler wrote:
>
>> Dear Vitalie,
>>
>> thank you for your response. I cannot say for sure that it is slow, but I
>> changed from emacs 21.3 to emacs 23.3 and at the same time from ess 5.3.3
>> to ess 12.04.
>> Together, it seems to me much slower than before.
>>

> (that's interesting .. in any case)
>

>> In ess-r-d.el I read
>>
>> Set this variable to nil to disable searching for other versions of R.
>> If you set this variable, you need to restart Emacs (and set this variable
>> before ess-site is loaded) for it to take effect.")
>>
>> I thought that this should prevent the search, but don't know, if I should
>> set ess-r-versions or ess-uniq-list or some other variable to nil. What I
>> tried in .emacs did not have any effect.
>>

> (setq ess-r-versions nil)  ;;  *BEFORE* ess-site is loaded (!)
>
> has the desired effect for me.
> Are you sure that you set this *before* loading of ess-site?
>
> As you tell us you are using Windows, are  you using  Vincent Goulet's
> Emacs+ESS+... combination?
> It could be the problem, because I think ess-site is already loaded  by the
> "global" site-start  Emacs startup configuration.
>
> Can anyone confirm?

I confirm that ess-site is loaded from default.el, therefore before any site or user configuration file is loaded. Normally, this should be a feature more than a bug (just like R versions search is a nice feature).

On Windows, however, it is simple to modify the default.el file: it is located in the site-lisp sub-folder of the Emacs installation folder. Caveat: the file will be overwritten/deleted with Emacs updates. [Not so much an issue for Heinz, it appears, since he doesn't update too often. :-) ]

Hope this helps,

v.