[ESS] How to avoid search for versions of R

Heinz Tuechler tuechler at gmx.at
Fri Apr 20 12:44:03 CEST 2012

Dear Vitalie,

thank you for your response. I cannot say for sure that it is slow,
but I changed from emacs 21.3 to emacs 23.3 and at the same time from
ess 5.3.3 to ess 12.04.
Together, it seems to me much slower than before.
In ess-r-d.el I read

Set this variable to nil to disable searching for other versions of R.
If you set this variable, you need to restart Emacs (and set this variable
before ess-site is loaded) for it to take effect.")

I thought that this should prevent the search, but don't know, if I
should set ess-r-versions or ess-uniq-list or some other variable to
nil. What I tried in .emacs did not have any effect.

You see that I have very little knowledge about emacs lisp and I
would prefer, not to need more of it. So I will try your suggestion
and report the result.

best regards,

Heinz