[ESS] proposal re: underscore

Rasmus rasmus at gmx.us
Sat Apr 7 13:27:51 CEST 2012

Henning Redestig <henning.red at googlemail.com> writes:

> I must say I have also grown very used to the smart underscore and use
> it all the time. Unfortunately, one case where it always bites me is
> when I paste things into a terminal (from windows clip-board to
> terminal by right-click in putty window) all the underscores get
> garbled to <- i.e., geom_bar becomes geom <- bar. Detecting difference
> between pasting and manual input in this case is probably not possible
> (?). My suggestion would be to have conversion to <- only triggered
> after typing a space after variable name; geom[_ becomes _]bar and
> foo[space][_ becomes <-]. That way underscore would behave as expected
> (i.e. produce _) when you may want to type an underscore but <- when
> you probably don't want an underscore anyway.

This file make `_' context depends:

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ess-smart-underscore.el

It would be better in core ESS, but for now it works. . .  I do not,
however, know whether it avoids the issues you describe when pasting.

–Rasmus

--
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they are not