[ESS] emacs backup files

Jannis bt_jannis at yahoo.de
Thu Sep 8 14:10:36 CEST 2011

Dear list members,

even though this might be more of an emacs question, I am sure you might
have some advice as well.

I want to stop emacs from writing these ~filename and #filename# files
in the folder togehether with the file but rather to bu these files in
one central location (they came rather handy yet on several ocasions ;-)  ).

Some googleing brought me to this solution in my .emacs file:

;; Save all backups in one directory
(defun make-backup-file-name (filename)
(defvar backups-dir "~/Emacs_Backup/")
(make-directory backups-dir t)
(expand-file-name
(concat backups-dir "." (file-name-nondirectory filename) "~")
(file-name-directory filename)))

Emacs still, however, creates #filename# files on the original location
which is specially annoying in case I work on a file mounted remotely
when this causes write errors and frequent emacs freezes.

Am I doing anything wrong here?

Jannis