[ESS] specify version of R?

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 06:35:47 CEST 2011

Hi,

I am using Vincent Goulets distribution Emacs 23.3 with ESS 5.14 on
Windows 7 x64.  I do a nonstandard R install into C:/R/.  Typically, I
run R devel, which I do happily:

(setq inferior-R-program-name "C:/R/R-devel/bin/x64/Rterm.exe")

in my .emacs file.  My issue is that occassionaly it would be
convenient to use one of the stable versions of R (now, for example,
2.13.1).  I tried, perhaps misguidedly, adding:

(setenv "PATH" (concat (getenv "PATH") "C:/R/"))
(setq exec-path (append exec-path '("C:/R/")))

with the hope that ESS would find all the versions of R installed on
my system, but it only seems to find the R devel one.  If that is not
possible, I would be happy to manually add it to my .emacs file so
that I could run, say, "M-x Rstable".  I hope I am providing the
appropriate information.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers,

Josh