[ESS] RFC: and .Rhistory -- new default == *no* .Rhistory ??

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Sep 3 11:58:55 CEST 2011

Thank you very much!
all, who sent in your votes, some offline (for saving list
bandwidth), almost always providing reasons for your opinion.

My summary (hopefully mostly unbiased):

 o Most voted *pro* changing the default, with main arguments
    - we should emphasize working with *.R script files
    - I'd prefer no .Rhistory - cluttering my file system
    - emacs users nowadays should be smart to activate it if  they want

 o Those voting *pro* keeping the default argued
    - beginners may be helped much by its presence
    - the smart "leet" (~= "elite" - I had to look that up; it's an
      	  	        interesting Wikipedia reading)
      users have ~/.emacs customizations anyway and can just add one more
    - "the principle of least surprise"
      (changing year long defaults is unpleasant if not frustrating for many)

There's one thing most correspondents seem to not have been
aware (even though I tried to get it accross as well):
My changes (to the svn development version) two days ago have
finally activated the  ess-history-directory  (customizable) variable
and if you set that --  very natural to me seems
        (setq ess-history-directory "~/.R/")
then there would be one and only one .Rhistory file, namely ~/.R/.Rhistory
which gives no cluttering and no warnings about missing
.Rhistory files, but of course looses project, i.e. directory,
specific history.

After all these considerations, and notably with the wise
recommendation from Doug Bates, one of the very earliest authors
of ESS (then under the name of "S-mode"), I am now proposing to
keep the default behavior -- for the sake of the unsuspecting
and the beginners -- but also plan to add a prominent
recommendation/hint that you easily can turn it off completely by
        (setq ess-history nil)
or turn off the cluttering by
        (setq ess-history-directory "~/.R/")
	;; requires *write* permission to the directory..

once again with the idea that many of the experienced ESS users
will do one or the other.

I know that this may seem as disregarding majority vote, but
then it was not only a vote (*) rather more a RFC, and I've
ended up counting those comments more than votes.  Also, this is
not a decision (as that will rather be made by the full ESS core
team) but only a strong suggestion...

Martin

---
(*) the vote can not really be "representative" the way we had to
   do it on ESS-help, and keeping it up a very limited time, etc etc