[ESS] completion using ess-remote

Francois Pepin francois.pepin at sequentainc.com
Mon Oct 24 20:09:12 CEST 2011

Hi,

I'm using ESS 5.14 with emacs 23.1.1 and R 2.13.1. I sometimes need to access my R session from different computers so I use screen and ess-remote to connect to it. Unfortunately, the command completion does not work.

The output I get after re-attaching the screen in a terminal is:

> as.character(getRversion() >= "2.7.0")
[1] "TRUE"
> rcompgen:::.assignLinebuffer('mul')
Error in loadNamespace(name) : there is no package called 'rcompgen'
> rcompgen:::.assignEnd(3)
Error in loadNamespace(name) : there is no package called 'rcompgen'
> rcompgen:::.guessTokenFromLine()
Error in loadNamespace(name) : there is no package called 'rcompgen'
> rcompgen:::.completeToken()
Error in loadNamespace(name) : there is no package called 'rcompgen'
> rcompgen:::.retrieveCompletions()
Error in loadNamespace(name) : there is no package called 'rcompgen'

This is due to the fact that rcompgen is now found under utils, so all these commands should have utils::: instead of rcompgen:::

Looking into the ESS source, I see the following lines in lisp/ess-r-d.el indicating that ESS knows about this:
         (NS (if (ess-current-R-at-least '2.7.0)
                 "utils:::"
               "rcompgen:::"))

Would anyone know why ESS is still trying to use rcompgen in this case and how I might be able to convince it not to?

Thanks,

François Pepin
Scientist

Sequenta, Inc.
400 E. Jamie Court, Suite 301
South San Francisco, CA 94080

650 243 3929 p

francois.pepin at sequentainc.com
www.sequentainc.com

The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) named in this message.  This communication is intended to be and to remain confidential and may be subject to applicable attorney/client and/or work product privileges.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message and its attachments.  Do not deliver, distribute or copy this message and/or any attachments and if you are not the intended recipient, do not disclose the contents or take any action in reliance upon the information contained in this communication or any attachments.