[ESS] Hanging emacs with ESS and R (and regretting it)

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Mon Oct 24 19:42:21 CEST 2011

Rodney Sparapani wrote:

> The default for ess-eval-visibly-p is t (contrary to the ESS manual
> which says "the behavior is controlled by the variable |ess-eval-visibly-p|
> whose default is |nil|").  So, by default, a naive user (who will most
> likely not have changed the default) will hang their emacs session
> and think this is normal and/or acceptable behavior.  It seems to
> me that the docs should, at least, mention the brackets tip/trick
> (and be corrected, of course).  If no one objects, I will do that
> (eventually).

The manual has been corrected.  However, the bug remains...

What if every submission of every code chunk was automatically encased
in curly brackets?  I believe something similar happens when Stata code
is submitted (I think the lines are automatically separated by injected
semi-colons; or something like that).

Rodney