[ESS] Hanging emacs with ESS and R (and regretting it)

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit.list at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 19:41:12 CEST 2011

Hi Rodney,

I have tried all the pieces and indeed they hang emacs if
ess-eval-visibly-p is t, irrespective of having ess-tracebug on or
off.

When I evaluate the code invisibly (C-u C-c C-b for example)
everything is fine.

There is a good reason for this, ess-eval-linewise (which does the
visible evaluation) waits for each line to finish execution before
sending the next one.

By the way, with ess-tracebug you might consider using M-c s (aka
_s_ource) instead of C-c C-b. It sources the file and outputs all the
errors into the inferior buffer. In that case you can use M-[ and M-]
to quickly navigate to the error location in the buffer. See
navigation (http://code.google.com/p/ess-tracebug/#Navigation) and
work-flow (http://code.google.com/p/ess-tracebug/#Work-Flow) sections
for details.

HTH,