[ESS] Open R in an external terminal?

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 10:25:58 CET 2011

On 8 November 2011 09:16, Harold Pimentel <haroldpimentel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am interested in opening R in an external terminal like
> vim-R-plugin. My main reason for this is that when I run large R
> functions Emacs hangs until the operation is complete. If someone has
> an answer to fix that, I'd like that better (no need to leave emacs),
> but I'm fine with opening an external process.

What is the value of ess-eval-visibly-p if it is the default you
should set it to nil. Evaluating code should not hang emacs unless you
evaluate it line by line (aka visibly). Take a look here
http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/ess.html#Evaluating-code and here
http://stackoverflow.com/q/2770523/453735 .

By the way "Sending code to the ESS process" is  the subsection 7.4 of
"7 Editing S functions"? Does not make much sense to me. No wonder new
users are confused.  Sending code to ESS is the most important topic
of all (as I would think) and it's hidden under the trees. Shouldn't
it be a separate section and preferably as close to the beginning as
possible?

Vitalie.