[ESS] How to tell if R is ready after ess-eval-*?

Ulrich Keller uhkeller at googlemail.com
Thu May 5 05:57:44 CEST 2011

Thans for your reply, Rodney.

And sorry, I didn't phrase the description quite right. I too get the
new prompt only after 5 seconds, but this is a very subtle indicator of
R's status. If I send more than one line with ess-eval-region, I'd have
to count the new prompts and see if they match the number of lines I
sent to determine if R is finished or not. Not very practical.

The background is that I often run largish scripts that read complicated
and often broken data. Usually, something goes wrong somewhere, so
stepping through the script and fixing errors as they occur is really
the only option. Because the data tend to be large, running a few lines
can take a some minutes, and it would be nice if ESS could tell me when
R is done.

(I used to have a system monitor applet in my Gnome panel to monitor CPU
usage instead, but with the non-configurable Gnome 3 panels, this is no
longer an option.)