[ESS] A beginner's questions on starting ESS and typing problem

Vincent Goulet Vincent.Goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Fri Mar 25 04:16:41 CET 2011

Le 2011-03-24 à 22:53, Yuguang Zhou a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> I am new to ESS and trying to pick up this powerful tool.  Having read the
> ESS manual and downloaded a ref-card, but still find it hard to start.
>
> I used Vincent Goulet's GNU EMacs + ESS installation package and mainly use
> it for R programming in Windows environment, and would greatly appreciate
> any input and help:
>
> 1, Is there a way to specify folder when opening a code not in my home
> directory? Do I really need to type the whole path?  Or can I change the
> default home directory to any one I want?

Well, on Windows you can use the menu File | Visit New File... and navigate through your folders with the usual dialog. That said, I usually find it faster to type in the path in the minibuffer using TAB to complete unique names. You *should* use TAB in the minibuffer!

> 2, When I type "TAB" key to indent the code, it simply doesn't work.  it
> said to use <TAB> To indent the line on ESS refer card (V 5.3.0), why is
> that?

TAB will not insert a tabulation per se in your code; it will indent the code automagically for you. What do mean by "it does not work"? Are you in R mode when editing your code? The script file name should end in .r or .R for Emacs to enter R mode automatically.

> 3, I followed Paul E Johnson's advice and installed his startup
> configuration file for Emacs (
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ESSWindowsAdvice). He also mentioned another
> configuration file "framepop.el" and provided the link for download, but he
> didn't say how to used that.  Can anyone do me a favor to explain?

FYI, framepop.el is now included in my distribution, but not activated. I don't use it, so can't comment any further.

HTH  Vincent