[ESS] Assign f12 to "ess-sas-submit-region"

Main, Regan rmain at rand.org
Mon Mar 21 15:45:48 CET 2011

Hi all--

I use iESS for generating and debugging SAS code primarily, but also
Stata and R.  I prefer to submit code by marking the region and
submitting with C-c C-r and have been doing so for a couple of years.
I'm starting to run into some carpal tunnel issues though and would like
to change the burden of submitting chunks of code from my left hand to
my right.  I've been playing around with my .emacs but not meeting with
much success.

Can someone please help me assign the f12 key to what the C-c C-r
keybinding currently does?  Below is my best attempt so far.  I found
the "defcustom" lines online and inserted them between a
global-unset-key and global-set-key.

Thanks much for any assistance you can offer.
-Regan Main
RAND Corporation

(global-unset-key [f12])

;; Bind f12 to ess-sas-submit-region
(defcustom ess-sas-temp-root "-temp"
  "*Appended to root name of the temporary .sas file for
`ess-sas-submit-region'."
  :group 'ess-sas
  :type  'string)

(global-set-key [f12] 'ess-sas-submit-region)