[ESS] ess eval invisibly only for large blocks

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit.list at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 20:32:59 CET 2011

Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu> writes:

> On 03/14/11 11:26 AM, Rodney Sparapani wrote:
>> Hi Kasper:
>>
>> I'd like to, but I can't get it to work on XEmacs. He appears to be
>> using modes/methods that are only available on Emacs. Please correct
>> me if I'm wrong. Otherwise, the +1 remains as a feature request for ESS.
>>

> Actually, now that I dig into it.  I can get it to load for XEmacs,
> but I still see the + symbols, so I guess I need to read the docs.

Hi Rodney,

The replacement string is a user variable "ess-long+replace" which by
default is "+ ... + ". Only long + + + prompts (more than 3 +s) are replaced.

This behavior is controlled by inferior-ess-replace-long+  (by default
t), so instead of a very long prompt you should see something like:

> + ... +
> > + ... + >
> + ... +
> > + ... + >
> + ... + >

unless you are using  an older version of ess-tracebug.

Thanks for looking into it on XEmacs. I was planning to do it myself some
day, but it was quite a low priority because of a feeling that there are not
so many ESS users on XEmacs platform.

> To make it work for XEmacs, you need the following at the top:
> ;(require 'face-remap nil t) ;; desirable for scaling of the text in ...
> ;(require 'ido nil t) ;; desirable for debug/undebug at point function

Face-remap and ido are optional as the third argument t indicates. But it
seems that XEmacs' 'require' does not have the third "no-error"
argument.

What would be an application independent way of dealing with the above
'requires'?

> (require 'cl) ;; a couple of useful functions
> (require 'overlay)

Thanks, added this to the code.

> (if (boundp 'overlay-arrow-variable-list) nil
>   (defvar overlay-arrow-variable-list nil))

This variable is not used anywhere and was a forgotten remnant from
previous versions, now deleted; so the above is not needed anymore.

> And, you need (if (featurep 'fringe) ) around calls to fringe-mode
> features.

I am unhappy to hear what fringe functionality is not available on
XEmacs. It's a pity, since all the breakpoints and fringe arrows are using
left fringe for position indication. Not having them is quite a sizable lack
of functionality:(

Vitalie.