[ESS] C-c C-n undefined

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 08:05:09 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Nils Kristian <nils.k.skjervold at ntnu.no> wrote:
> Hi, I am using R and as a Windows user I am used to TINN as an editor. Currently
> I have startet using Mac and are therefor switching to ESS as editor. The
> problem is that I can not get the function C-c C-n to work - sending a line from
> the ESS-buffer to the R-buffer. It just says "C-c C-n is undefined". Anyone?

Dear Nils:

This is the reason I encourage all my Windows students to use Emacs.
So they won't be shocked when they start using a good OS.  Or a Mac :)

Can I ask  you to tell us a bit more?  I  am sorry if this is too
basic, I don't want to insult you.  Are  you using the "Aquamacs" or
the real Emacs for Mac?  I've seen a difference in behavior of these 2
on Macs within the last year.

It seemed as though you have gotten this far. You open Emacs with a
file name extension .R, say "flop.R".  You see the thin ESS button bar
along the top of the Emacs Window?  You start R, possibly by clicking
on the big blue R,  or M-x R, it should start a new buffer in which an
R terminal is running.

>From "flop.R', can you send a line to R with the single blue arrow
thing in the button bar?  You should be able to achieve same effect
with the pull down ESS menu "send to R" options.

If those things work, then we need to know how C-c C-n got broken, or
if it was ever there to start with.  Sometimes, over the years, I have
seen the "cua mode" get in the way.  The text copy function "C-c" gets
tangled up with the first part of C-c C-n, depending on how fast the
users strike the key combination.

But I wonder if you need C-c C-n anyway.  I recently helped a Mac
student who was using a version of Emacs and ESS that was--out of the
box--configured to send the current line to R by hitting a key
combination. It was either Control or Command at the same time as the
Enter key.

Oh, well.  That is all of my guessing for tonight...

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science