[ESS] Manually turn on ess script mode

Cesar Rabak cesar.rabak at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 19:10:45 CET 2011

Em 6/3/2011 14:35, Tyler Smith escreveu:
 > Douglas Bates<bates at stat.wisc.edu>  writes:
 >
 >> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 9:17 AM, Tyler Smith<tyler.smith at eku.edu>  wrote:
 >>> However, I could skip this step if there was a way to explicitly tell
 >>> emacs to start ess[s] mode. Is this possible? The manual only says
 >>> that the mode should start automatically, but doesn't indicate if
 >>> it's possible to make it start when the hooks don't get triggered.
 >>
 >> The answer is almost embarrassingly straightforward.
 >>
 >> M-x R-mode<ret>
 >
 > Wow, that is embarrassing. For the record, I read the fine manual
 > section on 'ESS for the S family', and tried M-x ess-<tab>  to generate a
 > list of all ESS functions that I could scan for clues. Now that I know
 > the answer, I searched for the phrase r-mode in the entire text of the
 > ess manual, and it doesn't appear (excepting as part of the command
 > ess-R-mode-font-lock-keywords).
 >
 > Could I humbly request that some reference to R-mode be added to the
 > info file? (info "(ess)ESS(S)--Editing files") seems like the best place:
Tyler,

Your report puzzled me for a second, so I went to the ESS manual,
because my memory was teasing me on believing this information was
blatantly available in the info section.

Then I discovered that sometimes the experience of an outsider really
helps: the info _is_ available, but it is written in an 'hermetic
language' (a.k.a. for the initiated ;-) which requires mental translation:

In the section 3.1 "Starting an ESS process", you'll find:
<quote>
To start an S session on Unix or on Windows when you use the Cygwin
bash shell, simply type `M-x S RET'.
</quote>

The whole chapter 6 "ESS for the S family" is also a clue, but perhaps
for the connoisseurs only?

So right, it is not possible to find via search the mention to R-mode
although it pops in Chapter 1 "Introduction to ESS" as "S-mode", but
you'll need to know that R is "S family".

HTH

--
Cesar Rabak
GNU/Linux User 52247.