[ESS] ESS: running blocks of script very slow

Jannis bt_jannis at yahoo.de
Thu Mar 3 15:35:56 CET 2011

Dear List,

I am running blocks of R script using C-x C-r with Emacs/ESS on a windows machine. In my impression this is very slow even for commands with low calculation demands (e.g. defining functions etc.) compared to other GUIs that I have so far tested (Rkward, Standard R-GUI). Does anyone of you experience similar issues? Or does anybody have an idea on where to search for hints to the problem?

My system is:

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.12.0 (2010-10-15)
Platform: i386-pc-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252
[2] LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252
[4] LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:

With Emacs GNU Emacs 23.1.1  on a windows machine. I could not figure out which ESS version is running.

Thanks a lot
Jannis