[ESS] ESS in Windows: Unable to run editor "gnuclient.exe"

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 04:57:46 CET 2011

Hi, guys.  I'm playing windows again today.  I think you know from
recent posts, I don't like this, but I still try to be helpful.  I had
the problem today that many ESS processes would just hang, refusing to
accept more input (like that weirdness with Sweave and ESS we were
discussing last month).   I noticed Emacs  was last year's Emacs, so I
got the new one.

Look what happened?

> fix(lm)
Error in edit(name, file, title, editor) :
  unable to run editor 'gnuclient.exe'

I'm Googling, it seems as thought it shouldn't happen anymore:)  I
suspect I've done something the old fashioned way and broken the
newfangled way.

I just installed Prof Goulet's Emacs 23.2 version 9 on a Windows 7
system.  That defaulted to put itself into c:\Program Files (x86)\GNU
Emacs-23.2

I also installed R 2.12.2 that now has both the 32 and 64 bit
versions. I installed R in c:\Program Files\R  (no version number) and
Emacs with ESS doesn't find that.

So I decided to fiddle ess site-start.el. This is AT THE TOP of that file

(setq-default inferior-R-program-name
              "c:/Program Files/R/bin/i386/rterm.exe")

That works.

I start Emacs by running "runemacs.exe".

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science