[ESS] How to tell if R is ready after ess-eval-*?

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit.list at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 18:20:46 CEST 2011

>> for(i in 1:5) Sys.sleep(.5)
>> for(j in 1:10) Sys.sleep(.4)
>>

> Hi Vitalie:
>
> Very nice!  However, I see the same behavior for those 2 blocks of
> code.  Or is it so subtle that I didn't notice?  Thanks.

Yes the first 2.5 sec you didn't notice. A better example is this:

for(i in 1:10) Sys.sleep(.5)
cat("here\n")

versus:

for(i in 1:10)
    Sys.sleep(.5)
cat("here\n")

also

for(i in 1:10) Sys.sleep(.5)

works fine because i am treating the last line (or the only line) of
the block, separately.

These  examples are pretty contrived, and in real applications
laborious command will necessarily print something or be multi-line,
which is happily detected.

Vitalie.