[ESS] Viewing data frames

Sven Hartenstein lists at svenhartenstein.de
Sun Feb 27 15:58:32 CET 2011

Dear ESS users,

when I have a data frame and manipulate some colums, I often wish to
check my coding by viewing the results. I am looking for an easy and
comfortable way to do that when there are more columns than would fit
in my emacs width.

I know there is edit() which opens the "R Data Editor", but when
columns contain long strings, scrolling to the right beyond them does
not work here. Also, it would be cool to be able to adjust the display
width of columns (with the mouse).

Is there anything else that would make it easy to quickly view data
frames? Quickly means: I do not want to write.table() and then import
in some spreadsheed software.

How do you do it?

(I am running ESS 5.10 in GNU Emacs 23.1.1 in Ubuntu.)

Sven