[ESS] Finding Rterm in R 2.12.0 on Windows

Daniel Nordlund djnordlund at frontier.com
Mon Feb 14 19:49:41 CET 2011

Rodney,

I am not an expert on Windows 7, Emacs, or ESS, so I can't speak with authority on these problems.  Up until I started reading this thread, I was only dimly aware of all the redirection that apparently happens on Windows Vista/7.

But, what you describe above is basically how all my computers are set-up at home and at work (except the server at work where I don't have admin rights).  Except for programs that are explicitly written for Windows, I usually install programs in the root directory of my C: drive.  I just installed the latest version of Emacs/ESS packaged by Vincent Goulet in C:\GNU_Emacs_23.2.  I have R installed in C:\R (or rather, various directory trees under there).  I put c:\R\R-2.12.1\bin\i386 in the system-wide PATH and I define R_LIBS in the system-wide environment variables.  Emacs, ESS and R work just fine together as far as I can tell.

It may be the case that if you install Emacs/ESS/R for all users (and outside of the Program Files directory) and set up the system-wide PATH and environment variables, you may be able to keep multiple accounts.  I just don't know, and I don't have a computer (or the inclination) to test it.  But I very much appreciate all the work that you do and the help that you and others on this list provide. :-)

Dan

Daniel Nordlund
Bothell, WA USA