[ESS] setting transcript file name

Alex Bokov bokov at uthscsa.edu
Sun Feb 13 00:22:42 CET 2011

Vaidotas Zemlys <zemlys <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Another thing, now if you provide transcript name when
> ess-ask-about-transfile is on, the buffer is set to read only, is this
> a bug? I notice this with emacs 21.4a-1 and ess  5.2.6-1 on Debian Sid
> (upgraded before sarge), and emacs  21.3+1-8ubuntu  and  ess 5.2.3-3
> on Ubuntu Hoary Hedgehog.

No, it's not a bug, it's a compulsory "feature" that IS possible to undo but
nobody seems to be willing to tell you presumably for the same old excuse of
"protecting you" from "making inadvertent changes". Grr. Took me forever to
figure this out. Here's how you do it...

Go into the "ESS Transcript Mode Hook" which is in  "ESS Hooks" group and insert
the following at the end of the mode hook list:

toggle-read-only

Then, set for current sessions, save for future sessions, and edit Rt and St
files to your heart's content!

The rest of you, every time you think you know enough about the toolchains and
work-habits of other ESS users to favor "protecting" them from editing files
they want to edit, please remember this quote:

"A successful tool is used to do something undreamed of by its author."
       --Samuel Curtis Johnson