[ESS] Finding Rterm in R 2.12.0 on Windows

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 19:53:00 CET 2011

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu> wrote:

>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ZA/windows7/turn-user-account-control-on-or-off
>>

> I finally got through.  This URL shows how you can turn this "feature" off.

This seems to turn off the *Warning* but not the feature itself.

I've found it quite difficult to feel confident about system
administration chores because of this problem.  Even when you are
logged in as a person with administrative power, it diverts your work
to the VirtualStore unless you explicitly run things as administrator.

For example, if you want to edit a file in C:\Program Files\GNU
Emacs\site-lisp, you need to be careful to start emacs with a right
click "as administrator" and then go open the file.  Just clicking on
the file in the Windows Explorer will put you into VirtualStore
territory.

Hm. It did not occur to me until just now. What if I run the Windows
Explorer with a right click "as administrator".  Maybe that would
bless everything else I do, as if I were starting a new shell.  I have
to go to the lab to find a WinPC to check that.

I may will that, but like others in here, feel conflicted in
supporting Windows. It makes me mad, I would rather fix Linux or Mac
any day, but these poor unsuspecting students keep showing up with
their computers that have Windows.  My university has bent over
backwards to help the students buy the newest version of windows.  I
used to say "That OS sucks, you should give up" but they don't seem
to.  They just decide to avoid me.  Which is not entirely bad, but
mostly bad.

pj
--
Paul E. Johnson