[ESS] Finding Rterm in R 2.12.0 on Windows

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Thu Feb 3 20:26:39 CET 2011

On 02/ 3/11 12:06 PM, RICHARD M. HEIBERGER wrote:
> I think it is easy.  The Windows R installation puts a shortcut "R
> 2.12.1.lnk" on the desktop.
> That might be sufficient as is.
>
> That shortcut could also be copied to any arbitrary place, say c:/program
> files/R.lnk, and
> on 64-bit machines, we could also have R32.lnk and R64.lnk, with R.lnk
> pointing to
> the 32-bit system as Martin suggested earlier in this thread.  The shortcut
> can be
> programmatically executed from the MSDOS cmd window, and from the shell exec
> mechanism.

Ok, but this is an entirely different suggestion, correct?  There's
no way that a 32-bit application can do anything with the real
C:\Program Files since it is hidden from them, right?  Only 64-bit
applications see the true C:\Program Files; of course, they can also
see C:\Program Files (x86).  Maybe the R installer needs to be a
64-bit application for 7 and 32-bit application for XP.
What a f*cking mess!

Rodney