[ESS] Finding Rterm in R 2.12.0 on Windows

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Feb 1 11:34:17 CET 2011

    > I've installed the most recent version of ESS from
    > subversion. ESS now finds both the 32-bit and 64-bit installed
    > versions of R-patched on my 64-bit Windows 7 system.

Thanks a lot, Dale, for the quick feedback!

    > One interesting issue. If I open an empty file test.R and
    > navigate via the ESS menu, Ie. "Start Process:Other and select
    > the 64 bit version, then the following text appears in the
    > buffer:

    > "ESS [S(R): C:/Program Files/R/R-2.12.1patched/bin/i386/Rterm.exe] starting data directory?"

    > Although this appears to point to the 32-bit version, the 64-bit
    > version opens in the R buffer when I hit enter.

Yes. That is actually another glitch, not at all related to
Windows or even R: Inside "[..]" the S or R version displayed is
sometimes wrong, i.e. the "previous" version instead of the one
that will be taken.

One thing which *is* Windows-specific is that internally there
are two kind of version names, one being the short
'R-2.12.1patched-64bit' one, which you also can use via
      M-x R-2.12.1patched-64bit
and the other the full path name (which will be shortened to the
8.3-short path name internally when the *call* to R is made).

I'm about to commit changes which will also fix this glitch,
for R and its available versions at least.
(it will still show wrongly e.g. when calling  M-x S+.. after an
 earlier M-x R).

Martin