[ESS] Sweave (Rnw): text displays differently when cursor is in latex code or in R code

Joseph Mingrone jrm at ftfl.ca
Wed Dec 14 23:34:28 CET 2011

When I scroll through an Sweave document (Rnw) with latex code and R
code, the text jumps around when the mode changes between Latex and
ESS.  The two modes disagree how text should be wrapped when it can't
fit within the window.  Moreover, I've noticed that when I do
1) M-x toggle-truncate-lines to enable truncate long lines while the
cursor is within latex code
2) move the cursor to R code
3) return to the latex code

truncate long lines is no longer on.

Has anyone noticed this?  Has anyone solved this problem?

Thanks,

Joseph