[ESS] Emacs for former XEmacs users

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Mon Aug 1 20:18:05 CEST 2011

Stephen Eglen wrote:
> hi Rodney,
>
> I found adding tool-bar code a big headache way back in 2003/4, and it
> still looks to be similar code...  I've attached below a snippet from
> the elisp info node in Emacs that might help?  NOt sure if you can do it
> globally though?
>

> See also sec, 22.17.6 Tool bars.
>
> Stephen

Very interesting!  Via Google I found the following snippet
which seems to follow the docs that you posted...

(define-key tool-bar-map
   [print-buffer]
   `(menu-item "Print Buffer with Faces"
               ps-print-buffer-with-faces
               (nil)
               :enable
               ,(menu-bar-menu-frame-live-and-visible-p)
               :help "Print current buffer with faces"
               :image (image :type xpm :file
                             ,(image-search-load-path "print.xpm")))

However, for me, this does nothing.  Perhaps this is a good point
to end this off topic discussion.  ESS 5.14 is out now and it
should resolve a few Emacs glitches (and be more consistent with
the XEmacs behavior as well).

Rodney