[ESS] tunelling R over ssh and using x11 tunelling

Jannis bt_jannis at yahoo.de
Thu Apr 14 16:31:10 CEST 2011

Dears,

this may be more an emacs or ssh question but I ask here as some details may be related to ESS and as I expect some users here to use my intended way.

I am trying to run Emacs ESS on a local Windows machine to connect to a remote R process. Using these instructions:

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.ess.general/2882

I set up Emacs and plink.exe. Everything works fine and I can connect to the R process. I could not, however figure out how to set up x11 tunelling (using Xming) to display me some plots etc. I manage to do this using Secure Shell Client so I expect Xming to be running properly.

Any suggestions on who to get this running? Do I have to set some options for plink (If yes, where?) or do I simply add -X somewhere within emacs?

Thanks for your help!
Jannis