[ESS] Crashing emacs & ess by closing the R buffer

Chris Evans chrishold at psyctc.org
Sat Sep 18 13:39:37 CEST 2010

I shifted from xemacs to emacs a year or so ago now and confess that
I've never really felt as comfortable in emacs and don't remember ever
doing this in xemacs.

OK, the problem: what I've done a few times now is that I've meant to
close a help page buffer I've opened but don't realise that I'm in the R
buffer and that seems to hang the whole combination of emacs, ess & R.
Windoze XP sp3 (yes, I know, when I retire I'll see if I really can
transfer to linux!) XP, Emacs 23.1.1 and ESS ... (hm, how do you check
what version you have running?)

Taskmanager shows emacs & R as still running but the emacs window just
shows its edges with no content and doesn't respond to anything.  I can
close any R graphics window that's open (and I _think_ maybe this only
happens when I have one open) but nothing seems to be able to unlock
things other than killing emacs through taskmanager.

I'm sure it is, ultimately, my not paying enough attention but I
wondered if there was any way to make it less easy for me to do this or
even stop me doing it?

TIA and thanks for a great piece of software and an amazingly supportive
and friendly list.

Chris

--
Chris Evans <chris at psyctc.org> Skype: chris-psyctc
Consultant Psychiatrist in Psychotherapy, Notts. PDD network;