[ESS] Auto-fill mode and Roxygen

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Sep 14 15:11:35 CEST 2010

    > 2010/9/11 Feng Li <feng.li at stat.su.se>:
    >> Thanks your reply. I totally agree with your option. But it is good to have
    >> this feature, since people are lazy, like me. Apparently I put a explicit
    >> prefix "##' " under the ess-mode-hook to avoid that.

    > Right.. but how does this work in normal source code? Emacs will fill
    > those too and I don't see why you would want that? Possibly
    > auto-filling could be made a part of the roxygen editing support, I
    > will look into that.

    >> There is another issue that C-c C-o has destroyed my indents inside the
    >> comments. I would love to have an option to only update the parameters but
    >> keep the current indents. Hope this can be fixed in the new release:)

    > Leading and trailing whitespace are not carried over to your Rd file
    > anyway so personally I like that behavior. Sounds like you want a
    > quite intricate filling function that detects leading white space and
    > changes filling prefix on a per-line basis. Sorry, but I can't really
    > see the big advantage in that.. An option to not fill-lines at all
    > when doing C-c C-o could be possibly included though.

I think that would be valuable.
I had a similar experience as Feng Li: I do like to use extra
white space inside the Roxygen part, and then was very
unpleasantly surprised when I did C-c C-o after adding a new
argument to my function.
Producing 'Rd' is just one of several possible usages of
Roxygen, isn't it?

Martin, ETH Zurich