[ESS] Installing ESS on CentOS?

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Wed Oct 27 01:15:34 CEST 2010

Hi, Eric and Rodney:

       Thanks for your replies.  Unfortunately, I'm not very unixed, and
I can't find the installation directory for Emacs.  I couldn't find ESS
or Emacs Speaks Statistics listed as available via Package Manager.
Moreover, /user/local/share does not contain an emacs subdirectory, as
indicated in
"http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/ess.html#Unix-installation".   I
downloaded ess-5.11.tgz, and know where it is, but I don't know where to
put it.  I spent my time in the military, and I can think of a thousand
crude suggestions for "where to put it", but none of them seem likely to
solve this problem.

       Any suggestions?

       Thanks again,
       Spencer