[ESS] R crashing through ESS

Francois Pepin fpepin at lbl.gov
Wed Oct 13 21:46:05 CEST 2010

Hi everyone,

everyone once in a while, I get a pretty bad crash of R when run through emacs.

> Tue Oct 12 19:45:47 nvwa.local R[27691] <Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSShapeWindow
Tue Oct 12 19:45:47 nvwa.local R[27691] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set
a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.

This generally happens when I have a (Quartz) plot showing that I
haven't touched for a couple of days, including going in and out of
sleep a few times. I haven't had much luck in triggering it
consistently, but it has happened to me a good many times.

I realize this is likely not quite enough information to pinpoint the
issue and I'll happily provide whatever people thing might be helpful
in this case.

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.11.0 (2010-04-22)
x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0

emacs version: GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.8.0, NS
apple-appkit-949.54) of 2009-08-16 on black.local

ess version: 5.11

Francois Pepin