[ESS] ESS/iESS SAS problems...

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Wed Nov 17 16:44:23 CET 2010

On 11/15/10 12:48 PM, Blair Christian wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am new to ESS/SAS, but a longtime ESS/R user.
>
> I'm having some problems getting set up in both interactive and
> non-interactive mode- perhaps I'm doing something wrong or there is
> something undocumented that is common knowledge?
>
> For ESS(SAS) mode (batch processing), I have
> (ess-sas-global-unix-keys) in my .emacs.  When I submit my sas
> program, emacs switches to the *shell* and stays there.  The sas
> program runs, and the output is in the log file, but I'm stuck in
> *shell* and the function key settings don't work there.  I can open
> the log, but it opens as a text file, and I have to M-x sas-log-mode.
> Even then, I still can't switch between the code and the log.
>
> I have ess-sas-submit-command, ess-sas-submit-post-command and
> ess-sas-submit-pre-command variables set to non-defaults for my
> particular version of sas.  I also hand edited
> ess/etc/ess-sas-sh-command (but that should only affect interactive
> ESS(SAS)?).  I'm running emacs 21.3.2 with ess 5.12 on a redhat with
> kernel 2.6.9-89.0.3.ELhugemem.
>
> Thank you much,
> Blair

Hi Blair:

Although, that code looks like it should work; it is flaky.
That's because it is an internal function and not part of the
external API (it won't work all the time because it has to do
with the order of which elisp files are loaded; possibly, that
is a bug; it certainly was not by design, but there you have it).

Did you try the "official" way to get your keys defined as
documented at
http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/ess.html#ESS_0028SAS_0029_002d_002dBatch-SAS-processes

(setq ess-sas-global-unix-keys t)

prior to (require 'ess-site)?