[ESS] Color-face list for font color specification in emacs

Vitalie S. spinuvit.list at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 22:22:50 CET 2010

"Thompson,Paul" <Paul.Thompson at sanfordhealth.org> writes:

> This question reminds me of a question that I have had frequently.  Is there a comprehensive list of colors and
> faces that could be used in a specification of fonts and colors for various features?

Paul, you are probably looking for these:

M-x list-colors-display
M-x list-faces-display

> If I go in customize > faces > font lock > font lock faces > font lock type
> face and customize it to a suitable color for my display and then click on
> color is changed for the current session but when I restart Emacs it's back
> to the old settings.  Customize has written the following lines in my
> .emacs file:

It should work unless the faces are overwritten by some other settings.
Is your custom file loaded in the first place?

(setq custom-file "~/.emacs-custom.el")
(load custom-file)

You can place it at the end of your .emacs to be sure nothing is overwritten.

HTH,
Vitalie.