[ESS] ESS and Windows 7

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Fri May 21 23:54:31 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu> wrote:
> On 05/20/10 04:10 PM, RICHARD M. HEIBERGER wrote:
>>
>> The windows file selection dialog box does not always accept directories.
>> I turned it off in the next release of ESS 5.9 due out real soon now.
>>
>> Rich

Thanks!

If I'm reading this right, then Windows users will no longer need this
line in the startup file??

(setq use-file-dialog nil)

So I have to update the instructions I posted for ESS/Emacs Windows users

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ESSWindowsAdvice

but, if I do, could we encourage Window users to try this? It seems to
me we have Windows users cropping up every week saying "this bad thing
happens" or such and it has already been taken into account on that
Wiki.  I had the option there to turn off the directory chooser thing,
for example.

I could add more detailed comments to explain what the changes do in
that start file. Perhaps your reluctance is caused by my preference to
spawn new frames rather than horizontal splits.  I've not met an
innocent Windows user who likes the horizontal splits (even though
Emacs veterans seem to like them).

On Windows 7, I notice the Emacs "addpm" program does not fiddle the
registry to make Windows open R files in Emacs.  That's too bad.  Used
to work.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science