[ESS] Indentation level

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Wed May 12 07:21:42 CEST 2010

David Scott wrote:
> Martin Maechler wrote:

>>> Hi Gerald:
>>>
>>> But the sources say 2 and that is what I see as well.  AFAICT, it
>>> hasn't changed recently either.  Is everybody running 5.8?
>>>
>> Yes, the default is definitely 2 and has always been so.
>> As R-core, we've set "our default" to 4, and indeed I have been preferring
>> that myself;
>> but nonetheless, the ESS default has always been 2.
>>
>> One way to set it to 4 and change other things as well, is using
>> what we have had in the "R Internals" (and previously "R Extensions") manual
>> for many years;
>> e.g. from the Swiss (CH) CRAN mirror:
>>
>>     http://stat.ethz.ch/CRAN/doc/manuals/R-ints.html#R-coding-standards
>> (about one page down):
>>
>>      ;;; ESS
>>      (add-hook 'ess-mode-hook
>>                (lambda ()
>>                  (ess-set-style 'C++ 'quiet)
>>                  ;; Because
>>                  ;;                                 DEF GNU BSD K&R C++
>>                  ;; ess-indent-level                  2   2   8   5   4
>>                  ;; ess-continued-statement-offset    2   2   8   5   4
>>                  ;; ess-brace-offset                  0   0  -8  -5  -4
>>                  ;; ess-arg-function-offset           2   4   0   0   0
>>                  ;; ess-expression-offset             4   2   8   5   4
>>                  ;; ess-else-offset                   0   0   0   0   0
>>                  ;; ess-close-brace-offset            0   0   0   0
>> 0
>>
>>           [.... other recommendatinos omitted here ...]
>>
>> and as others have said repeatedly on this thread:
>> Yes, you should and I think *must* set this via adding to the ess-mode-hook
>> BTW: In the above Emacs code, most are comments showing you the diverse
>> style settings,
>> mentioning indeed that the default ("DEF") is at 2.
>>
>> Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich
>>

> OK. I finally got this to work, simple really, only took a few hours of
> messing about. Changed C++ to DEF in Martin's code above:
>
> ;;; ESS
>       (add-hook 'ess-mode-hook
>                 (lambda ()
>                   (ess-set-style 'DEF 'quiet)
>                   ;; Because
>                   ;;                                 DEF GNU BSD K&R C++
>                   ;; ess-indent-level                  2   2   8   5   4
>                   ;; ess-continued-statement-offset    2   2   8   5   4
>                   ;; ess-brace-offset                  0   0  -8  -5  -4
>                   ;; ess-arg-function-offset           2   4   0   0   0
>                   ;; ess-expression-offset             4   2   8   5   4
>                   ;; ess-else-offset                   0   0   0   0   0
>                   ;; ess-close-brace-offset            0   0   0   0   0
>                   (add-hook 'local-write-file-hooks
>                             (lambda ()
>                               (ess-nuke-trailing-whitespace)))))
>       (setq ess-nuke-trailing-whitespace-p 'ask)
>       ;; or even
>       ;; (setq ess-nuke-trailing-whitespace-p t)
>       ;;; Perl
>       (add-hook 'perl-mode-hook
>                 (lambda () (setq perl-indent-level 4)))
>
> and lo and behold I got the default settings.

> [...]
Oh dear, wrong again. This is only gave me the indentation I wanted
because the command gave an error.

David Scott
David Scott	Department of Statistics
		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
		Auckland 1142,    NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 923 5055, or +64 9 373 7599 ext 85055
Email:	d.scott at auckland.ac.nz,  Fax: +64 9 373 7018

Director of Consulting, Department of Statistics