[ESS] Indentation level

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Tue May 11 07:54:27 CEST 2010

RICHARD M. HEIBERGER wrote:
> ess-indent-level is customizable.
> Enter
> C-h v ess-indent-level
> Middle-button-click the word customize, and then follow the instructions.
>
> The line
> (setq ess-indent-level 2)
> won't work unless it is used before the (load-library "ess-site") line.
>

> Rich

Thanks Richard. I am still mightily confused. I tried customizing as you
suggest, saving for future sessions. However ...

When I try and create a new .R file I still get an indent of 4. When I
look at the value of ess-indent-level I see:

***************
ess-indent-level is a variable defined in `ess-cust.el'.
Its value is 4
Local in buffer test.R; global value is 2

Documentation:
*Indentation of S statements with respect to containing block.

You can customize this variable.

So why doesn't a new file get the global value of 2. Or am I reading
things totally wrong here?

David
David Scott	Department of Statistics
		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
		Auckland 1142,    NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 923 5055, or +64 9 373 7599 ext 85055
Email:	d.scott at auckland.ac.nz,  Fax: +64 9 373 7018

Director of Consulting, Department of Statistics