[ESS] Sorry, no version of R could be found on your system -- R x64 2.11.0 on window

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Fri May 7 06:13:04 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Richard M. Heiberger <rmh at temple.edu> wrote:
> That was the information I needed. The 32 and 64 bit versions are not in parallel at the right level.  The '(x86)' breaks the parallel.  I know how to fix it, but I don't have a 64bit machine to work on.  When I get access to one, I will repair ESS.
>
> Rich

I've just run into this problem with 64 bit R.  I came into the
problem after a user had installed R, both the 32 bit and 64 bit
versions, over and over in an effort to make Emacs find it.

I noticed that Win7 now has those 2 folders

C:\Program Files
C:\Program Files (x86)

and those do confuse the whole situation.

In the old days, we would edit ess-site.el. But you guys pointed out
to me recently that we don't do that anymore. Instead, as the ESS
manual

 http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/ess.html

explains, the config file can have a line like this:

(setq inferior-R-program-name "c:/progra~1/R/R-2.2.1/bin/Rterm.exe")

I'm a little interested to know about the ~1 thing and how it works
when there is the (x86) folder.

And I don't understand why the previous poster says he succeeded
without the ~1.

And I don't understand why he didn't need an \ before the space in
"Program Files".

Was the ~1 thing only for 32 bit systems in the Win95 tradition?

Mostly, just curious.  I'm sure I'll have more 64 bit windows users
wanting help.

PJ

--
Paul E. Johnson