[ESS] pdfLaTeX from ESS/Noweb opens shell window (XP)

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Mar 25 09:57:34 CET 2010

    NB> Should have mentioned, it's Prof Goulet's latest (emacs-modified-5.exe)
    NB> - he suggested I post to this list.

    NB> Nick

    NB> On 23/03/2010 10:41, Nick Bell wrote:
    >>
    >> Running XP SP3, GNU Emacs 23.1.1, ESS 5.8.
    >>
    >> I'm editing a .Rnw file, I weave using M+s, then when I use M+P to generate
    >> a PDF a shell window opens which I have to close for the .pdf to be
    >> generated.
    >>
    >> Interestingly if I open the .tex file generated by the weaving I can compile
    >> this straight to .PDF without any windows opening.
    >>
    >> It's just annoying... does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Well, I'm not Windozer but  M-n P
calls  (ess-swv-PDF ..)
and that is defined in lisp/ess-swv.el,
and on line 173
has
	  (call-process "pdflatex" nil tex-buf 1 latex-filename))

where call-process is an Emacs-internal function
{  C-h f call-process     explains the arguments
   (call-process program &optional infile buffer display &rest args)
    and more }
Could you try changing the 'display' argument to call-process,i.e.,
replace
	  (call-process "pdflatex" nil tex-buf 1 latex-filename))
by
	  (call-process "pdflatex" nil tex-buf nil latex-filename))

(and *remove* the ess-swv.elc file {or remake it})
and see if that helps under Windoze?

In general (i.e. under reasonable OS es) I'd still prefer to
*see* the pdflatex happening, i.e., keep display set to non-nil,
but we could set it to nil for Windows.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich