[ESS] [R] Problem using ESS. Error message: "cannot change working directory"

Nicolas Leveroni nicolas.leveroni at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 04:27:36 CET 2010

Greetings,
I have the following problem using Emacs Speaks Statistics:

When trying to set a working directory, or when trying to read a file
that is in a directory that has the character "á" (note that it has a
"spanish accent symbol": ´ )  R being ran from emacs tells me that the
directory doesn't exist, or that it can't be found, or:

> setwd("c:/Documents and Settings/Nicolás")
Error in setwd("c:/Documents and Settings/Nicolás") :
 cannot change working directory

I do NOT have the same problem if I try to do this directly with R
GUI. In my opinion, emacs is "telling" R "Nicolás" when it should
"tell" it "Nicolás".

Any thoughts??

Thanks for your help.

Nicolás Leveroni

ps: I tried: M-x set-language-environment Spanish. and it didn't work...