[ESS] indentation of by and tapply

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Mar 19 14:38:28 CET 2010

    RMR> When I use either of these statements, with the function brace on the
    RMR> next line the indentation is strange:
    RMR> e.g.

>>        by(x$thetadf, x$thetadf$effects, function(x, y)
>>       {
>>            i <- match(x$effects[1], effects)
>>

    RMR> Is there any way to  make this behave as a normal continuation line, ie.
    RMR> indented by 4 relative to the by column?

Not easily, last time I had tried.
The reason being that this relies on Emacs itself rather than ESS (our
Emacs extension),
the only thing we can influence is the the definition of syntax
emacs should use.

Indeed, this small mis-feature has also been bogging me
occasionally for many years.
Henc I'm quite motivated to fix the problem if an Emacs guru is
willing to help ...

Martin