[ESS] How to stop highlighting after eval-region

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Mar 18 12:09:12 CET 2010

    RoSp> On 03/17/10 03:10 AM, Martin Maechler wrote:
    LA> Try customizing the variable ess-eval-deactivate-mark
    LA> and set it to t (M-x customize-variable
    LA> ess-eval-deactivate-mark).
    >>
    >> Thank you, Leo, for helping..
    >>
    LA> (IMO, it should be true by default).
    >>
    >> I'd tend to agree: It has been true for me "forever".
    >>
    >> OTOH, I tend to be very reluctant in changing *defaults*
    >> of functions I write (in R, or Emacs lisp, ...):
    >> In theory, all calls of such a function (which does not
    >> explicitly set the option explicitly) would have to be
    >> reconsidered...
    >>
    >> OTOH, I also do agree that a change seems sensible.
    >> Note that this is only visible for those of us who have
    >> activated "transient mark mode" aka
    >> "Active Region Highlighting"
    >> ( = first entry of Emacs menu 'Options' )
    >>
    >> What do others ESS-lovers (and particularly experts)
    >> think about such a proposed change?
    >>
    >> Martin Maechler

    RoSp> Perhaps I'm being dense, but does this actually fix the
    RoSp> problem?  I haven't seen a response from Jason.  And
    RoSp> the circumstances of his problem would suggest not (it worked
    RoSp> before, but after an upgrade of ESS, it doesn't).

well, I guess he updated ESS and Emacs at the same time, or
changed his emacs configurations slightly, possibly
inadvertently...

It's definitely true that the ess-eval-deactivate-mark  variable
controls the behavior we are talking about.

Jason, can you please try the recommendation and publicly
confirm (or deny) that it helps ?

    RoSp> As this seems to be an Emacs-only issue, I can see no
    RoSp> objection provided it is actually needed and sufficiently tested.

Thanks.  .. Of course "sufficiently tested" maybe too hard: We
(ESS developers) have only a few incantations of Emacs that we
use regularly, and there are not too many ESS users volunteering
to work with the devel-version of ESS on a regular basis.

Martin.